Monday, March 25, 2013

Back on the Wagon...again

I have been trying to write this blog for a month.  I was too overwhelmed but I am back now.  Here is what you've missed since I've been away:

I went to Vegas.
I did NOTHING healthy in Vegas.
I came home, got sick.  Was sick for two weeks.
Saw a nutritionist & found out I have Celiac Disease.
I went into panic mode and freaked out...a lot.
I stopped blogging.
I stopped exercising.
I continued to eat healthy. (Hey, at least I did one thing right!)
I stopped eating gluten.

And now you are all caught up.  ;)

As one of my good friends says, I fell off the wagon...HARD but I am ready to get back on.

Last month I had an appointment with a nutritionist and found out I have Celiac Disease.  According to Google's Dictionary, Celiac Disease isA disease in which chronic failure to digest food is triggered by hypersensitivity of the small intestine to gluten."  In other words, I can't eat gluten - which can be found in wheat, rye and barley (cookies, pizza, beer, baked goods...you know...all the stuff I shouldn't be eating anyway). The good news is that while I was in Vegas and not being healthy, I had a whole lotta gluten - beer, desserts, bread, bread and more bread and got really, really sick.  Why, you ask, is this a good thing?  It is good because I KNOW why I got so sick for two weeks upon my return and it is a darn good reminder to never EVER do it again.

You see, I have been on a health kick or a diet for several of the past several years so I really don't eat a lot of carbs and I never drink beer because beer and carbs are bad, right.  Well, not really.  But that was my thought process.

This past month and a half I have been gluten free and I have not felt better in a very, very ling time.  I have more energy.  My skin is clear.  I can tell by touching my face, neck, arms and thighs that I am less swollen.  And I have lost a few pounds, too.

This weekend I had to drive a few hundred miles alone and forgot my ipod and ipad. For a stretch of about 60 miles I couldn't get a radio station to tune in so I listened to the only CD in my car that isn't scratched, a sermon I have listened to about 5 times.  The one that my pastors talk about this being the year of restoration.  I was reminded about how an old house is restored.  When you TRULY restore a home, you gut it out completely.  You start over from scratch.  Before you pick out the new colors of paint you have to take of all of the old layers of paint that have been put on year after year.  You sand the wood down so that you can see the grain.  I named this blog "Mission Restoration" because I am ready to be restored.  I agreed to allow God to be a part of my restoration and He opened the eyes of my health care providers who have been searching for unanswered questions for a very long time and for this I am grateful.  Finding out I am Celiac is just the beginning of my sanding down process...in order for me to truly be healthy from the inside out I am going to have to be restored from the inside out.  Going GF is going to be a whole new challenge and I'm sure it is going to get interesting and very challenging sometimes, but I am ready for my restoration so I am thankful to find out that I am Celiac because I know that God is working.


Source: facebook.com viaAmy on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment