Friday, January 11, 2013

End of Week One & Getting My Priorities Straight

I survived week one of Mission Restoration!  I tracked calories on MyfitnessPal, started a program to read the Bible in a year, ate pretty healthy, worked out 3 times and I am down 2 pounds!  Of course there is room for improvement, but overall it was a great week.

My biggest struggle this week has been finding the time to exercise.  I was able to exercise 3 days - that is 3 more than I have done for several weeks so I am not going to beat myself up over it but I have to figure out a way to make this work and get in at least 5 days of exercise.   

Here is a snapshot of a typical day:

5:00am Alarm goes off & I hit snooze
5:30 I finally get up
5:30-6:45 Shower, get dressed/ready for work & pack lunches
6:45-7:15 Wake kids up, get them dressed & out the door
7:15-8:00 Drop kids off & commute to work
8:00-12:00 Work - sit at a desk/computer
12:00-1:00 Lunch - typically I read & eat
1:00-5:00 Work - sit at a desk/computer
5:00-6:30 Pick up kids, commute home
6:30-7:30 Cook & eat dinner
7:30-8:30 Help kids with homework, read books and if there is any time left we watch TV
8:30-9:30 Wrap up the day & put kids to bed
9:30-12:00 Sit at computer & work OR if I am caught up on work this is the time that I use to work out
12:00am go to sleep

I am not kidding when I say that my schedule is full and for the most part, it is not flexible but there are times the the day where I can get at least 20 minutes of exercise in but choose not too.  I really do try not to make being a busy single mom of two with two jobs as an excuse, but I do.  I am not lying when I say that I am tired and we really are a very busy family. But being busy is no longer an excuse of mine for not having time. I need to make the time.

Yesterday I found a new fitness blog, Nerd Fitness and have enjoyed reading it. Today, I found this article called "Why 'I Don't Have Time' is a Big Fat Lie".  It was quite an eye opener.  I highly suggest that you  read it.  To sum it up, he says to no longer say "I don't have time to..." and to replace it with "It's not a priority to me to...".

So , here it goes:

It is not a priority to me to exercise.

Eeek!  That sounds bad, doesn't it?  :/

My goal over the next few weeks is to make it a priority.  Here are some things I have come up with to help:

1.  In order to work out a minimum of 5 days a week I have no choice but to exercise both Saturday and Sunday.  We are always busy on weekends too but not to the extreme that we are during the week.  That leaves me with 3 days during the week to work out and 2 free days during the week when things are out of control crazy.

2.  Include the kids and make it fun; dance, play together on the Wii, see who can do the most sit ups, jumping jacks or push-ups etc.  I have it in my head that a workout has to include a DVD in the player or an hour on the treadmill.

3. If my plan is to work out in the morning, have workout clothes close and water bottle filled. I really prefer to work out at night but sometimes mornings are the only time when I can fit it in.  The problem is that when the fist thing that comes to mind is that I have to go to the basement to get clothes or downstairs to the kitchen for water, I'm done.

I know there are other ways that I can make it a priority but this is where I am going to start.

Love this quote from Beth Moore: “Whatever God is urging you to clear away cannot begin to be compared to what He ultimately wants to bring you.”  Sounds like a pretty darn good reason to get my priorities on order now - time to clear the path for bigger better things to come!  


Where I am Today: 
  • Total weight loss: 2 lbs!
  • Exercise - worked out 3 times this week for a total of 115 minutes, burned 1000 calories
  • Something good -  Overall it was a great week!  I scratched an itch on my thigh this morning and could tell that I have lost weight.  Excellent start to restoration!
Health Goals: 
  • Make exercise a priority 
  • Lose 2 lbs by next Friday
  • Exercise 5 days 
  • Read the Bible daily 
  • Start a "Good Stuff" jar to open next New Year Day
  • Blog Twice



A little thing I saw on Pinterest that might be fun to do with my kiddos:


Source: grandpins.com via Amy on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment