Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Spinach Protien Smoothie

I eat (drink) the same breakfast everyday....my trusted spinach smoothie.  When I first heard of drinking vegetables, especially green ones, I thought it sounded pretty gross but because I have trouble getting my veggies in I knew I needed to do something to get the nutrients so I tried a recipe I found on Pinterest:  

1 frozen sliced banana
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 cup 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or other kind of milk)
4 cups baby spinach (or more, or less)

Nutritional stats:
350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein
I liked it but it wasn't great.  It wasn't the spinach I didn't like, it was the peanut butter.  So I tried almond butter instead....it was much better!  Since then I have tweaked it a couple of other ways trying to reduce the calories & sugar (removed the almond butter and used 1/3 banana instead of a whole one) and increase the protein by adding protein powder. My kids love it as much as I do!  Sometimes I will replace the spinach with pumpkin to change it up a little - when I do that I also add a little bit of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg...yummy!

Here is my recipe:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup Chobani 0% fat plain greek yogurt
Visalus Shake mix (or other preferred protein powder)- 2 scoops
1/3 frozen banana 
4 cups fresh spinach (sometimes I add some kale, too)

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

323 calories, 10g fiber, 39g protein


Where I am Today: 
  • Total weight loss: 2 lbs!
  • Exercise - Walked for almost an hour on the treadmill last night - avg 2.7mph, uphill 
  • Something good - Got to spend the entire evening with one of my best friends and her adorable daughter the other night.  Life with friends is a healthy life!    
Health Goals: 
  • Lose 2 lbs by next Friday
  • Maintain my 2 lb weight loss, maybe lose 1 or two more since I still have 4 days
  • Exercise 5 4 3 days 
  • Read the Bible daily 
  • Talk to my kids about random acts of kindness ideas 
  • Start a "Good Stuff" jar to open next New Year Day
  • Sleep 7- 8 hours per night  (totally failing on this one - averaging 5.5 hours per night)
  • Blog Twice
  • Start my 40 by 40 list 


No comments:

Post a Comment