Saturday, January 5, 2013

Meno...WHAT?

Want to hear about a not funny at freakin' all  conversation I had with my doctor this morning?

A little background...I have Graves Disease,  (HYPER-thyroidism.  You know, the one that causes weight LOSS?!) and I have had it for almost 11 years - I am not one of the lucky ones with that side effect if you haven't noticed.  I see an endocrinologist at least 3 times a year and keep it monitored.  I talked to my endocrinologist last time I saw her about why I am struggling so much with weight loss and having not so fun female symptoms.  I knew part of my problems had something to do with my hormones so she recommended that I see my regular doctor to run blood tests and to check everything.  My physical was about three weeks ago, so I have been impatiently waiting for the results of the blood work ever since.

Fast forward to today and this is how our telephone conversation went:

Jerk Doctor: Your test results came in and everything is very normal.  Nothing to worry about.
Me: Oh!  That's good right?  So what now?  Why do I have all of these crazy symptoms?
Jerk Doctor: Well, its normal to have these symptoms when you're menopausal.
Me:  (GULP) Meno........what?
Jerk Doctor:  Menopausal.
Me:  Aren't I kind of ..........young? (this is the part when the cursing began in my head)
Jerk Doctor: How old are you again?
Me: ( ISN'T MY CHART RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU?) 38
Jerk Doctor:  Oh.  OH!  Wow.  Ya, these results aren't normal.  I assumed you were (.....wait for it ....... ) in your 50's!
Me: (Assumed?!  Really?!)  Um, no.
Jerk Doctor: Well, that changes the game then.  Here's what we need to do ...........

He finished telling me everything I need to do and I refrained from cursing during the entire conversation. Although, I might have called him a few names after I hung up the phone.

The good news?  There is a problem and problems can be solved.  The supplement he has me taking is DHEA.  I read about it today and am happy with what I have found so far.  Just a few things DHEA does: helps balance hormones, supports the adrenals, decreases body fat, increases muscle strength, enhances memory. I'm excited to see if it helps!

By the way, if you think you have a hormone imbalance, see your doctor.  This is not a magic pill - you should never take any supplement or medication unless you are under the care of a physician - if taken when not needed women can grow facial hair, become irritable (and who needs that!?) and other not fun at all side effects.


Where I am Today: 

  • Total weight loss: 0 lbs
  • Exercise - 1.5 hours total cardio 
  • Something good - I stayed active all day today and started using MyFitnessPal again to monitor my calories and activity.  


Health Goals: 

  • Lose 2 lbs by next Friday
  • Exercise 5 4 days 
  • Read the Bible daily 
  • Talk to my kids about random acts of kindness ideas 
  • Start a "Good Stuff" jar to open next New Year Day
  • Sleep 7- 8 hours per night 
  • Blog Twice Once
  • Start my 40 by 40 list 


Saw this today and LOVE it.  Good reminder!


No comments:

Post a Comment